Monday, July 28, 2008

my new do

this weekend i made a change.

after 5 plus years of growing and living the long haired life, i did it. watauga medical was having a cancer awareness event and nelson of nelson's salon was volunteering his time and skills to gather donations for locks of love. i've been thinking about making the chop since maple was born. over 2 years. and when i heard about this chance i just jumped right in.

now, i have always enjoyed growing my hair long and then cutting it super short. in the past i have always been so ready i actually took the scissors to my hair myself. i was not quite so ready this time.

the experience itself was a little strange. i didn't really know what i wanted. and it was definitely weird to get my hair cut in an auditorium with a bunch of people watching. there were no mirrors so i couldn't even see what was happening to my head. afterward everyone told me how good it looked and seemed so happy.

then i got home and looked in the mirror.

you know, i never took myself for the type of person that would cry over a haircut. but i did. i cried. i hated it. it was not me. it was horrible. breath, breath, breath. obsessively look in the mirror and wonder what i was going to do until it grew back. i was happy to have the chance to donate my hair and truly appreciative if nelson's time and the fact that i got a free cut. but i just was not accepting what was on my head. it was bad and i was sad. then i slept.

it was easier to look in the mirror yesterday and i started working on a little acceptance. today i gave it a good washing (yeah, i don't shower everyday) and got all that "style" out. and you know what? it worked. its actually not bad. and i'm starting to remember all the fun things you can do with short hair. and i'm totally digging my new look. i really needed a change.

so here is the before and after:

this is me with long hair.

oh yeah, thats the stuff.

but now its short.

its pretty cute.

and i am oh so happy!!!

8 comments:

SuzeeZee said...

How very cute! You look so young! It really did turn out cute! Way to go Jaime! You are so awesome.

Andrea said...

Hey Jamie! This is Andrea. I linked to you off my sister's blog (Kim). We lived on Kingswood together back in the day... :0) O.k., I am just hoping you remember me!

Your hair is adorable!! Way to go, that was a lot cut off! I have flipped through your blog a litle bit. Sounds like you are doing great. You have 2 adorable little ones!

(The blog my name will link you too from here is a blog for our church. My personal blog is password protected but feel free to email me and I will give you that password andream301@gmail.com)

Tito and The Gang said...

That is awesome Jaime! It's a great cut and you look incredible.

Lessa...... said...

you look amazing. period. :)

Niki said...

love the new do!!

Unknown said...

Girl,..you are so beautiful!!
Allison

Mountain Knitter said...

i can't believe i still haven't seen it in person. i like it! very fresh. ikwym about crying. i cry every time i get a BIG hair change. you had had all that hair for so long. glad you're starting to like it, though!

Kimberly said...

That was a lot of hair to cut off! It looks so cute tho!! I really like it!!